Animana Release Highlights: Version 4.8
This version of Animana contains several bug fixes, security improvements, and behind the scenes enhancements. It also includes the following changes:
Important: New Animana Webagent (for practices using in-house diagnostics with Animana)
Animana’s Webagent allows communication between Animana and in-house diagnostics. To ensure security, reliability and compatibility, we’ve released a new Webagent version which is compatible with OpenJDK. If your practice uses the current Webagent (i.e. you have in-house diagnostics equipment), please keep reading for more information.
Webagent and Java FAQ
- How does this affect me?
- If you have any in-house diagnostic equipment linked to Animana, first you will need to install OpenJDK (if you haven’t already), then you will need to install the latest Animana Webagent.
- Where do I download the latest Webagent?
- The Webagent can be found in the Animana Worklist under “Lab Results”. Clicking on the “Download WEB AGENT” link at the top enables you to download the Webagent for the correct location. Further information can be found in this KB article.
- How do I install the latest webagent?
- Information on the installation of the Webagent can be found in this KB article.
- How do I get the Webagent to start automatically?
- After installing the new Webagent, you need to make a shortcut for in your startup folder. You can find full instructions here.
- What is OpenJDK (or Oracle Java)?
- Java is a programming language developed by Oracle, which the Animana Webagent is written in. Until recently, it could be used free of charge without restrictions; however, this has changed to a paid product if you wish to keep up with the latest version and security benefits. Therefore, we now support a free alternative called OpenJDK and recommend you move over to OpenJDK as soon as possible, to do this, please see the instructions here. Then ensure you install the latest version of the Animana Webagent.
- Can I have Oracle Java and OpenJDK installed on the same computer?
- No, you cannot have both versions of Java installed on your machine at the same time.
- Do I have to move from Oracle Java to OpenJDK?
- You can continue to use Oracle Java, but be aware that (unless you pay), you won’t receive the latest security updates and patches from Oracle.
Added Application Programming Interface (API) capabilities
An API makes it possible for programs to interact with each other. You can see it as the messenger that sends a question to another program and brings the reply back in an expected format. For example; if a pet owner books an appointment via Vetstoria. Vetstoria would use an API to ask Animana if there are available time slots for the appointment. The pet owner can book the appointment slot and the appointment is shown on the Animana agenda.
We’re constantly working on the API will enhance the current capabilities of secure data exchange between Animana and other applications, allowing us to work with other partners. In this release, we are adding more data points for external parties to access from Animana.
To access the Animana API documentation which is password protected please visit http://help.animana.com/api.
Let’s talk about what IDEXX software can do for your practice
Complete the form below and we’ll get back to you.